Tuesday 22 April 2014

Lemonbalm

My Paduan Learner indicating the gin
We've got a lovely community garden nearby and the other day I noticed the lemonbalm had come up and was looking lush. I'd found this recipe last year, but it was too late in the season for the young shoots needed, so I bookmarked it.
With such a short window of opportunity, I'm quite proud I remembered in time! Give it another week and the plants would have toughened up.
Someone also told me you can make lemonbalm tea, which is meant to help with memory... I somehow doubt that'd be the same for lemonbalm gin, but hey, post-rationalisation is a wonderful thing.


So, just the one bottle this season to see how it goes and if it's worth Demi-jon quantities. I'll keep you posted!


Lovely lemonbalm

Lemonbalm Gin

- bottle of gin (or vodka)
- handful of the freshest young leaves of lemonbalm
- 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar (maybe more, depending on taste)
Put the sugar and leaves in the bottle of alcohol. Seal and shake until the sugar is dissolved. Set in a cool, dark place for weeks (or maybe months!). Taste test it and when to your liking, filter into a clean bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment