Tuesday 6 May 2014

Lemonbalm Jam... allegedly.

This is going to be a very short post.  Lemonbalm Jam?  [silence]

After reading several accounts of how to get the best taste out of the lemonbalm leaves by letting them infuse overnight in sugar and/or infusing like tea in boiling water, I decided to go the whole hog and do both, along with finely slicing some of the tenderest leaves to sprinkle into the jam itself (bright green slivers would look great, no?).

No.  They don't.

What I got was a jam that looks like pondwater and tastes not-the-faintest of lemonbalm.  I tried so hard, looking very intently at my husband as he tasted it, asking "do you think there's a faint after-taste? You know, if you let the air in to your mouth right at the end?"

No, there wasn't.

Fortunately, though, my 4 year-old son isn't a fussy eater and seems to like Pond Jam on toast... complete with floating green bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment