Saturday 10 May 2014

Elderberry... er... Jeacle?

Gloopy, chewy, fruity
It's Elderberry Jeacle!
Is it a jam? Is it a... oh, no, I don't even know what it could be.
I have named this Concoction of Doom "Jeacle" because it's basically fruit treacle.  Not even my son says he actually likes it, although if I tell him it's fruity-honey he'll tolerate it on toast.

The idea was to make some Elderberry Jelly because I'd picked a whole load of elderberries and had already made the gin (more on that in another post). They're not exactly what I would call the most mainstream of tastes - surprisingly strong and really quite earthy.  They would easily overpower any other fruit if used in any great quantity, so it's hardly surprising that you see more elderflower concoctions than elderberry ones.

Oh, and they stain something chronic.

I won't even give you the recipe for this because it went so obviously wrong, but hey, I might experiment a bit more with elderberries this year. Fewer berries, less concentrated, maybe with an apple base.

Or maybe I won't...

No comments:

Post a Comment